Wednesday, 15 February 2017

An Interview with C.L. Hunter

Last week I spotlighted the Soul Mate Series by C.L. Hunter and today the author has joined me for an interview.

C.L. enjoys writing, reading, gardening, decorating and living life to the fullest!

Hi C.L. and welcome to Just Books.

Would you like to start by telling us what you enjoy most about writing?
I love the freedom it brings to me. I love seeing and hearing the character’s come to life as I write about them. It’s inspiring as it happens right in front of me.


...and how your interest in writing originated?
I started writing poems as a young girl. It turned into a passion. My grandparents owned newspapers in Arkansas and I’d send them my poems. In return, they would put them in the paper and send them back to me. That is when I saw my work in print and fell in love


What gets your creative juices flowing?
Different things at different times. Sometimes something as small as a bird chirping outside my window. Other times, stories, or parts of stories, come to me as I travel. I also have dreams that bring life, to certain characters.


Do you use your personal experiences in your writing?
Good question. I do, not in all areas, but there is a little of me in all my books.


What inspired Soul Mate Series?
Interesting enough, I was lucky enough to travel to Ireland. (One of my favorite places on earth.) I stayed there for a few weeks. During my stay, I went to castles, old pubs, and felt something completely extraordinary. There was some presence I’d never felt before. I tried to ignore it, but the spirit of the land stirred up or brought to life character’s that I couldn’t ignore.
The story followed me over three-thousand miles back home to Florida and I thought, I need to write this story down. I didn’t think I’d write a book, moreless a series. But, here I am writing the third book, “Our Souls Entwined” in the “Soul Mate” series.


For those of us who are thinking of reading your book, could you tell us what to expect?
These books are all about second chances. I reach deep into the souls of all my characters, so the readers can feel their pain, love, passion and amazing love scenes. You will travel to places around the world and discover places in your own life that you can relate too with each book.


Tell us about the covers and how they came about.
Well, that’s tough. My first book, “Your Soul Was Made for Mine” I had a cover made and loved it, but the feedback wasn’t as positive, so I replaced it with a man in a sexy tux and a woman in a red dress with red heels. It represented Nolan and Emmalyn perfect.
For book two, “My Soul Belongs to You” I also tried the first cover and decided it needed to flow better with book one. So, Kate has a sexy red dress and Deacon has on a suit and tie. It fits their character’s well. They both have different scenes of Ireland and places they travel as their backdrop.




Walk us through a day in the life of C. L. Hunter
I get my boy’s ready for their day and send them on their way. I feed my dog, Brody. I wait for him to settle down. He’s an Irish water spaniel and a bit hyper. I rarely drink coffee, but if I do it is decaf, if not, I’d be a cleaning fool. Haha! Coffee and I don’t mix well together. I Love music, so depending on the day, the book, my mood, I turn on music. It then starts my energy in whatever direction it will take and I go in the direction it takes me.


So, what do you like to do when you're not writing?
I love to go boating, spending time with family and cooking out. I love gardening, so flowers are my passion. All my books, in some way, have flowers in them.


I wish I’d known ___ when I was younger. (fill in the blank)
'the secrets of life'


What is your biggest fear?
I’m not sure I have a real fear. I will admit, I HATE spiders.


What is your favourite book?
I don’t have one favorite book. I love all kinds of different books. I will say, I love Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series. Her in depth writing of time travel, character’s, scenery, will make you feel like you’re there with Jamie and Clair. It’s just fantastic.


When was the last time you walked for more than an hour?
I walk almost every day for an hour. But, I decided to take a walk on the beach in Saint Augustine, Florida. It was back in September 2016. My gram was declining faster than we thought she ever could. Her time here was coming to an end. I took the time that I walked to pray and meditate on all the wonderful years we had with her. What a blessing it was to have her in our lives for so many years. How much she inspired me to be whatever I decided to be in this life. She passed away in December 2016 and to this day, the memory of that day makes me smile and think how blessed I was to have her and the amazing memories we shared together.


Tell us a bit more about your dog, Brody.
Brody is our two year old Irish water spaniel. I got him after we went to Ireland. While in Ireland I met Oliver. He is an Irish wolf hound, but his breed is way too big for my house. I started searching for the right dog for our family. My son, Dakotah, is autistic and he needed a playmate. Brody loves the water like my son and loves to play fetch. They make quite the team together.


Who is your favourite actress?
I love Jennifer Aniston. She is timeless and gives the feel of the girl-next-door. I think we’d be great friends.


What is your favourite holiday?
Christmas is my most favorite holiday. I love the family time, atmosphere, the lights, the cheer, the parties.
It’s a magical time of year. Saying goodbye to one year and getting ready to bring a new fresh year in, is refreshing.


When did you last sing to yourself? To someone else?
I’m laughing at this question. I sing all the time, now the problem with that is, as much as I love to sing, I’m a terrible singer. That was one gift from heaven I wasn’t blessed with.


...and finally. If you could wake up tomorrow having gained one quality or ability, what would it be?
Gosh. I’d love to be able to time-travel. That would be my wish or ability if I could ask for anything.


Thank you very much for joining us, C.L.
Have a wonderful day!







No comments :

Post a Comment